Vol 53

Page 5

Privacy Policy  |  Editorial Policy  |  Profit Policy  |  Join the Association  |  List of Members  |  Contact us  |  Index  |  Links  

Merchandise    |    Print this page

Back     Go to page:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20     Forward



Ian Tyrer.


Graeme Oxley got in touch, he said:  “Howdy, below is a story on 76 SQN Rad Tech Ian Tyrer. Ian was in 76 SQN when I was there in the late 60's and early 70's. 76 SQN was a Mirage Sqn and was known as the City of Newcastle SQN. There were many stories about Ian as he was a real larrikin back in those days. Unfortunately he passed away too early in his life (see HERE).


Below is a story on his life from his wife Linda



Sorry it has taken awhile to reply but we are in the middle of vintage which has come early so caught us on the hop! I have attached some photos and as a time line, I can give you a rough idea.


After leaving the Air Force, Ian went up north to Port Hedland working as a contractor for a mining company for about a year, I think it was to do with radio communication maintenance? He then took off to South Africa first to Jo‘burg then moved to Durban for about 18 months, he was working for Marconi – mostly on fishing boat repairing/maintenance on radar and radio.


He left end of 1972 and hitch hiked thru Africa arriving in Cairo, mostly following the Nile, then flew to London. He was working on electronic stuff.


So this is where I come in. I met Ian in July 1973 he was living in Earls Court with 2 aussies and 2 kiwis. One of the aussies was a friend of a friend of mine, she asked me to come for a visit, Ian was working so I didn’t meet him then but later on another visit and as they say the rest is history!


After a month we set up house together. Ian was working for a company that were making French missiles. He was doing the electronic side and I was a computer programmer. Later Ian was offered a job making satellites but had trouble with his clearance since he had lived in South Africa. So we then took off touring Europe for 6 months in a VW beetle. We had arranged a visa to go on the Trans-Siberian railway thru Russia then to Japan- which took 6 months as it was very difficult in those days and we had to have a ‘guide’ with us at all times!


Anyway we got to Greece and they were at War with Turkey and we couldn’t get thru the border- an interesting time seeing tanks thundering down the main square of Athens! We were told they were confiscating cars so we headed back to Austria to cancel our trip and headed back to London.


Here we stayed another 6 months working before heading home via Singapore.


Arrived in Perth Dec 1974, a few weeks with Ian’s parents then took off to my home town, Melbourne via the Indian Pacific. The next Feb 1975 we tied the knot, both working in Melbourne- this time Ian worked for Tektronix working on scopes etc. - they asked Ian to go to Silicon Valley USA but he had had enough travelling and wanted to settle down back in WA.


So we came over in 1976 and bought this property then headed back to Vic to work another year saving for the big adventure!! We arrived in August 1977, I was 4 months pregnant, full of enthusiasm and totally naďve of what was to happen next! We had bought 140 acres in Mount Barker, part of the Great Southern region and the beginning of the wine industry down here.


I suggested you look at our website (HERE), click “About Us” where there are lots of stories, if you are interested - you can copy and paste stories of how we began etc.


So now Ian was a vigneron and then in 1980 started making wine - he had won lots of awards but the biggest was voted by his peers The George Mulgrave Award given once a year - like the Oscars!


Early in 2003 Ian had this little nagging cough, he went to the doctors got some antibiotics etc., then worked thru vintage. In June the cough was still there so it was back to the doctors, more tests followed, then we received the worst news - kidney cancer. They thought he would last into 2004 but the cancer was already in his lungs which had to be drained. They punctured his lung but the cancer had spread into his lymph system and he was gone 3 weeks later. It was the 18th October 2003.


We had the funeral at home, 500 plus people came and he is buried at the local cemetery. We still see people leaving stubbies of beer on his slab - nice.


So Kim (our only daughter) and I decided to start a fund and raise money to buy our local hospital an ultra sound so this would not happen again. We need $25,000 but we raised over $50,000 so we spent the surplus on palliative care equipment which still used in town. Quite a few of Ian’s air force mates sent money to the fund. How wonderful are people!!


Geoff Blunt keeps in contact with me, calls on the 18th of Oct every year and Christmas to pass on news etc.- he came and spoke at the funeral, funny story about Ian and the carrots



My daughter Kim is now the winemaker- our Riesling has been voted the best in WA and is a finalist in the Australia’s Top Wine of 2015 - so she is doing a good job. Ian was and will be so proud of her - looking down, smiling! Kim’s husband Nigel is our vineyard manager.


And I now have a new 6 week old granddaughter Ava and a beautiful grandson Jack, now 5. So I am truly blessed. We all live on the property and follow Ian’s dream and passion for the wine industry.


So on the whole Ian had a full and interesting life, his optimism, generosity and loud laugh was well documented. He made lots of friends and touched many - we still get people coming up to us with a story about the time they met him etc. talking fondly of the memory.



So I think that’s the best we can do - leave some with a smile.”







432 Quangellup Road

Mount Barker, Western Australia 6324

Ph: 08 9851 2022

Mobile: 0409 451020








World’s Problems Solved!


One Sunday morning recently, a few of us participated in a sumptuous breakfast at the home of Sue and that dashing young man about town, John McDougall.


Standing L-R:   Trev Benneworth,  John McDougall.

Seated L-R:   (the old blokes) Brian Duddington,  John Sambrooks.


Over several leisurely hours while enjoying a wonderful breakfast, the preparation of which John Mac took all the credit, but being a bloke did bugger all, the men above discussed and resolved many of the current world’s problems -  including the seemingly unstoppable climate change debacle, the massive growth and effect of political correctness in all aspects of our lives, particularly in the armed forces, the horrendous atrocities performed by certain followers of Islam and how to sneak into the Gabba for free to watch the cricket.


Australia – you can now sleep easy – there are no problems left to solve!!!







On the 1st December, 1991, No 3 Telecommunications Unit (3TU) ceased operations. That marked the end of a chapter in RAAF signals history which began in October 1945 when the Air Board issued organisation memorandum 1081 authorising the formation of 3TU at Pearce.


In the ensuing 45 years there were two consistent and distinctive features of 3TU’s character. The first was the affection with which the unit had been held by three generations of RAAF signals personnel. Since it began, 3TU had embraced and nurtured its young operators with genuine warmth and concern. For years fledgling operators learned their trade at 3TU and they learned it well. When they were ready they would go out and serve at single service and civilian agencies in Australia and overseas. Invariably these same personnel returned to 3TU later in their careers and 3TU welcomed them. It is not difficult to see why many have come to see 3TU as an extended family, or why RAAF operators regard 3TU as their professional home.


The second enduring feature of 3TU’s character has been its attitude to excellence and achievement. Over the past 45 years 3TU has witnessed the relentless advance of communications technology in the region and the world. 3TU has always endeavoured to do more than merely keep pace with these developments; we have endeavoured to stay at least one step ahead.  Many individuals in DOS and DSD (Defence Signals Directorate) have worked hard to help 3TU in its efforts, and we thank you for this. Because it has tried to excel, 3TU has traditionally accepted change as a natural and indispensable part of the continuing battle to maintain the advantage over our competition.


To lose 3TU in the name of progress therefore evokes mixed emotions. Many senior operators are naturally disappointed at the unit’s demise; they have lost a part of their professional heritage. At the same time, the professionalism RAAF operators have been taught at 3TU demands that opportunities to advance must be seized and seized vigorously. I am confident that 3TU members will carry this spirit with them to their new units, especially the JOPC (Joint Offshore Protection Command). I believe that although 3TU will soon be a memory, the heirs of the 3TU tradition will work with dedication and loyalty to forge a new signals order in Australia.




Phil Palmer sent us these pics.


The following 5 pics were taken at Laverton “back in the good old days”.  They are sure to bring back a lot of fond memories to a lot of people.















Web Counter


Back     Go to page:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20     Forward

Back to top